Why we do this?
Laneways have a huge amount of untapped potential. While currently acting primarily as service corridors, when planned and designed effectively they can be an integral and multi-purpose part of our public realm. Laneways can provide extensive cultural, economic, social, health and environmental benefits. They can play a role in creating engaging, lively and richly textured places where people want to live, work and visit.
Improvements to laneways can provide:
- Increased walkability and connectivity
- New venues for community events and entertainment
- Increased space for informal physical activity
- New public and green spaces close to home
- A canvas for public art and interventions
- Unique destinations
- Pop-up shops and micro-business opportunities