The Laneway Project is a not-for-profit social enterprise.
We believe that thriving public spaces help to create strong communities, and that laneways have at the potential to be vibrant community spaces that support healthy neighbourhoods.
Our work falls into 3 streams:
- We initiate and implement community-driven demonstration projects to improve and activate laneways throughout the city.
- We work with City and other stakeholders to create laneway friendly policies and procedures.
- We develop resources to inspire and support residents, community groups, businesses and other stakeholders in improving and making better use of laneways.
Our services include:
Community Centered Planning
We work with and support local communities in improving and activating their laneways
We develop master plans, laneway greening projects, pop-up laneway activations in collaboration with local communities. '
Project Development and Management
We nurture laneway project ideas and help bring them to life.
We manage contracts, complete project approvals, and manage contractors and finances.
Research and Policy Development
- We work with City Hall staff to ensure that individual laneway revitalizations are integrated with Toronto’s city-wide network of laneways and more general public realm improvements.
- We conduct research into laneway best practices from around the world.
- We develop public planning resources to empower Torontonians to undertake their own laneway transformation projects.